Group Sound Arts Therapy Training
Group Sound Arts Therapy Training (Professional Diploma)
The sound-arts therapy course offers a range of different activities that use sound as a therapeutic and transformative art-form. These activities are participative, dynamic and creative.
Group members may work on a beautiful piece of sonic art for a project, workshop or performance, create a soundscape or to understand and work through a difficult time in their life.
A sound-arts therapist facilitates the session with a particular set of therapeutic and/or educational outcomes in mind. These include developing communication skills, improving mood state or memory, working on motor co-ordination and reducing anxiety for example.
It is now easier than ever to take a Higher Level Diploma in Sound and Voice-arts Therapy as the in-class intensive is held on the same weekend.
You can also take this course via a distance learning option.
This course is particularly beneficial for people working in (or wanting to work in) the following areas:
Complementary and mainstream healthcare
Personal development and self help
Spiritual health and development
Sonic art/art installations
Community Arts or Health Projects
A blend of home study & 1 class-room based module held at University of Chichester Bognor Regis Campus, Upper Bognor Rd, Bognor Regis, PO21 1HR. A distance learning option is also available.
2023 Course Dates TBC
£1029 – Full Course Fee
Instalment Plan Available
- Exploring the current research in the ‘arts for health’ field
- The neuroscience and psychology of therapeutic sound-work, community music making and improvisation
- Your Sonic Colour Pallet – Discover the ‘sonic colours’ you will be using as you go through this course
- Himalayan singing bowls, gongs, chimes, percussion, crystal bowls and drum and the psychology of sound will be discussed
- Group dynamics – ‘the hats we wear’ and how to hold and facilitate a transformative and therapeutic space
- Reflective practice – the 7Rs method of experiential processing – a way to understand ourselves more deeply
- Soundscapes and sonic-art – explore different types of soundscape and the psychology of soundscaping
- The therapeutic benefits of improvisation and the different types of improvisation will be discussed
- How to facilitate different sessions for an intended therapeutic outcome
- Drum circle facilitation, body percussion, rhythm games and more will be explored
- Graphic scores – transforming sound into art and vice-versa
- Community research project – taking your work into the community to further the body of research
Course Modules & Timeline
Blended Learning Option
- Sound-arts therapists use a range of different instruments including shakers, singing bowls, drums and chimes.
- Videos and presentations introduce the instruments to you
- Good quality professional standard instruments can be hand selected for you and sent to your home via our trusted suppliers
- An online course to take before the virtual classroom
- Quizzes and interactive exercises help you check your understanding and deepen your knowledge
Virtual Classroom 1
- We will unpack the BAST Method of Sound Relaxation Therapy in more depth in the comfort of your home
- Take part in experiential exercises
- Experience different sound sessions and discuss therapeutic application
- Understand how different instruments affect mind, body and emotions in different ways
- Discuss the application of the instruments and techniques in more depth
- Put a soundscape together virtually
- Explore current research in the arts for health field, sound and music psychology and neuroscience to support how and why sound can be so effective at improving health and wellbeing
Coursework and Home Study for 12 – 14 weeks
- Embark on a wonderful journey with your instruments
- Articles, quizzes, coursework exercises and training videos deepen your learning
- Coursework is estimated to take between 2 – 3 hours a week
- Practise different types of session and explore the therapeutic potential of the techniques
Virtual Classroom 2 – Tutorial
- During this session we will check all is well with your coursework and answer any questions you may have
- Have a valuable Q&A session with your tutors
- We will explore the therapeutic benefits and application of:
- Drum circles
- Rhythm games
- Body Percussion
- Graphic scores
9.30am – 6.30pm
If you are taking the Higher Level Diploma in Sound and Voice-arts Therapy you’ll be coming back into class the following day.
Case Studies & Research Project for 6 – 9 months
- Take 6 – 9 months to complete your case studies
- Gain valuable experience whilst being supported by BAST
- 2 of your 9 sessions will contribute to a research project which aims to further the field and provide work/business opportunities.
Virtual Classroom 3 – Tutorial
- Check in with your peers and tutors
- Discuss your case studies in more depth
- Discuss research and ongoing business/professional development
On successful completion of this course you will be awarded a Professional Diploma in Group Sound Arts Therapy
You can achieve a ‘pass’, ‘merit’ or ‘distinction’
Full Course Fee: £1029 TBC